Carer Frequently Asked Question

We specialise in providing the highest quality 24 hour live-in care for clients in their own homes from as little as a few days’ respite care to long term placements stretching over months or years.

You are able to work in the UK if you have a UK Passport, EU Passport or Ancestral Visa. If you have a grandparent born in the British Isles you can apply for an Ancestral Visa allowing you to work in the UK. You are able to work if you have 'Right of Abode', 'Indefinite Leave', or have been granted asylum. We regret we are unable to offer work to holders of student visas and we are unable to help with applications for work permits. You can visit, which offers useful information on working in the UK - Tips and information on getting around, work visas, health, cost of living and banking.

Yes. When you arrive in the UK we are legally obliged to apply for a police check for you here. This takes about 2-3 weeks to process and costs £59.20 and is processed through the DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service). If this is your first time working in the UK we expect you to have a Police check from your country of origin. Please look at the DBS website to check you can comply.

Yes. Interviews are held at the OxleyCare office in Hampshire. You cannot commence work without one or a DBS check. Please e-mail ( or telephone (01980) 846690 for an appointment. The nearest Station is Grateley on the London Waterloo/Exeter line. If you are invited for an interview and you will be travelling by train we are more than happy to pick you up and return you to Grateley station.

Some experience in care is helpful, even if that was caring for a close friend or relative. Induction Training is provided by OxleyCare in Role of the Care Worker, Equality and Inclusion, Safeguarding Adults, Moving and Handling Patients, Infection Control, Fire Training, Food and Hygiene, First Aid, Medication and Dementia Awareness.
Yes. OxleyCare promotes a balanced diet and the use of fresh ingredients on a daily basis. Ready-made meals are only used in emergencies.
Yes. Most of our clients prefer to have a car driver. Remember to bring your licence and insurance documentation with you. You will also be asked to disclose any previous driving convictions.
No. Most of our clients prefer you not to wear a uniform however; we insist on smart casual clothes, no jeans or track suit bottoms.
We have a 24 hour on-call service which ensures that a member of the management team is always available to answer your queries.

You will need to arrange to have a bank account in the UK before you leave your home country. Seek advice from your own bank. Alternatively visit for information on their services for overseas travellers.

You are paid weekly direct to your bank account.  Holiday pay is accrued per assignment and paid when holiday is taken.

Each assignment varies, but the rate is £91-£100.50 depending on skillset and placement. All board and lodging are paid for by the client as are your travel costs or petrol for your car from your home to the client's location. Mileage allowance is 45p per mile.

We do have plenty of work for suitable carers, but we are unable to guarantee work. You are likely to get more if you are flexible, prepared to travel and work with our clients who require more assistance.

Assignments vary depending on suitability and availability, but the maximum number of weeks you can work continuously is 14 weeks then 2 weeks compensatory rest. If you have any specific work preferences they can be discussed at interview.  

You have to arrange somewhere to stay when you are not working. If you are not a permanent resident we would advise you to have a base in the UK.